Tuesday, April 11, 2006

22

A day late, but better late than never!

Monday was a big day, since the DAT (District ASSistance Team) was coming in. Since our school is a failing school, we get two visits from a group of district folks who come and observe our classrooms, make notes, etc. Over the weekend, I had prepared a lesson on the computer using a number of computer applications (PowerPoint, Inspiration 8, and streaming video). I arrived about 10 minutes before school started to find that the cable that connects the tablet PC to the big screen was GONE. Between Friday afternoon and Monday morning, it simply disappeared! So I panicked, then threw something together and wrote the notes on my little whiteboard as the first person came in to observe. After the first period, the lady said, "good lesson." I wish she could have seen the real one, but oh well. Perhaps, I did alright. Even though I am leaving after this year, I still hate and fear failure in any form that it may present itself.

Around lunchtime, I heard through the grapevine that the cable guy had taken my cable and brought it to someone else. I was able to track it down and finally able to use it by the last period of the day. When I can use a computer to teach, it makes it easier for me and a lot more interesting for the kids.

Some of the classes are so loud that they're starting to get on my last nerve. I told third period that I was on the verge of quitting and they just needed to try me if they wanted to know if I was serious. You know the strangest thing is that although I have a lot of loud and rude students in my classes, they actually like having me in there more than they like potential alternatives. I have to use whatever weapons I have, and honesty is the proper medicine at times, even with children.

A couple of sweet, studious, twin girls that I teach came up to me later in the day and asked, "Mr. [Feanor], you're not really going to quit during Spring Break, are you?" I told them that most likely, I would not. One asked me, "Mr. [Feanor], are you saved?" I didn't know what to think until she continued,"... because you have the patience of a saint." I've certainly never thought of myself as having the patience of a saint, but it was good to hear and it made me smile. That someone would think I am a Christian by the way I act at work is baffling, but their feelings are appreciated. In education, there's always someone who appreciates you. You just have to wait for those moments when they show it and it all seems somehow... strangely... worth it.

My patience of a saint wore off as I was still waiting for kids' rides at 5:45 for a practice that ended at 5. Monday's practice was the last track practice. After Tuesday's district meet, that aspect of my job will be over. While I have enjoyed coaching, I will welcome having one less responsibility at work.

We'll see if the "patience of a saint" can last 21 more days.

5 Comments:

At 4/11/2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I've been waiting for an entry all weekend :P What grades do you teach? You should be happy that a youngster asked if you were saved, that means that people can see Christ in you.

 
At 4/11/2006 3:18 PM, Blogger dean r said...

and.......??? what was your answer bud? huh??? :)

 
At 4/11/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Nerdanel_Istarnië said...

I like the countdown! And the problem of the lost cable, I know that well! It happens to me whenever we have an inspection. At least you used your initiative and still did a good lesson. A lot of folk I know would have been totally lost if they couldn't plug in.

I agree with the other's comments. It is one thing to tell people you are Christian, it is another for them to tell you! And it shows a great rapport with those kids.

I thought all teachers were saints! :)

 
At 4/12/2006 10:11 AM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Thanks, readers, for your quick and enthusiastic responses!

Jessica - Yes, I was happy... at first, I thought she was asking me because she thought I was some sort of heathen!

Steven (no offense for the above), I'm starting to agree with you that I will make it. With every passing day, it seems more and more possible.

Dean - my answer was a smile, but had their been words, they would have been, "None of your damn business!" LOL

Michelle - I don't think what I came up with was that impressive, but hopefully it worked.

Nerdanel - Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I agree that ALL teachers are saints. I'll get a response to you on Flame Rekindled Part II.

 
At 4/12/2006 3:30 PM, Blogger dean r said...

oh, way to take a stand.(said in dry sarcastic tone) I prefer sticking with the smile then, saint T-boy. later, DTR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home