Friday, April 07, 2006

23

The track meet went pretty well yesterday. One of my athletes finished 5th in the 800m Run and I was quite proud of that. He shaved 20 seconds off his practice time. It's amazing what a little effort can do. My kids were more competitive this time than the last, and I think we'll post a respectable (though middling) showing at the district meet. We got in around 11:15 last night, which put me getting home around 11:45 and going to bed about an hour later. Needless to say, I'm quite exhausted.

I was hit last night with the reality that track season will be over on Tuesday. A sense of, "What now?" hit me, as I have pondered all of the high points of the year. There have been many, but none of them have had anything to do with the actual process of teaching. So, although I only have 23 days left, I still think constantly of throwing in the towel. However, I don't need to make that decision now because I am too exhausted. I don't need to let my body make a decision that I should make with my mind, and with the advice of others.

I spoke last night with a man that I respect highly and he told me that although he might not have done it when he was my age, he would advise me to stick it out. I need to consider that, as it was also the advice my old principal gave me back in December.

The assistant superintendent popped in for like two seconds wearing jeans and a football jersey then stood in the hall for a little while. Of course, my class kept acting a fool - they didn't know who the hell he was but it might not have made a difference if they had.

I was thinking about taking that half day off that I have coming, but I think I'm going to stick it out for the day, although I think I'll cancel track practice and get some rest this evening.

ADDED LATER IN THE DAY:

I know the tone of post 23 was a little down, but I was just walking through the hall before lunch and one of my students held out his hand for a five and said, "What's up, my n***a?"

That really made my day. I know a lot of people have a problem with that word, but for this kid, he was paying me a big compliment, right up there with some of my kids who say I'm "gangsta." I love these kids. I really do. I'm going to finish the week with a smile, now.

6 Comments:

At 4/07/2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for the meds!!!!
T

 
At 4/07/2006 10:36 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I'm using skins from blogskins and it seems like I just keep on having trouble but I've made the comments are now up and running again. :)

 
At 4/08/2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Kay said...

you're almost there! :)

 
At 4/08/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Thanks, y'all!

 
At 4/09/2006 8:13 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

ROFL! That's hilarious!

 
At 4/12/2006 3:28 PM, Blogger dean r said...

I just got the number thing in your title.... .counting down the days man, keep the posts coming. later

 

Post a Comment

<< Home