Tuesday, May 09, 2006

To the developed world... WAKE UP!!!

One blog that I check daily is Nerdanel's Story, which showcases writings of a talented British writer and teacher. Each post contains a chapter of Tolkien-based fiction told from the point of view of Tolkien's character, Nerdanel, the wife of Fëanor. For those of us who didn't see enough of Fëanor in Tolkien's The Silmarillion, this sort of thing is a real treat to read!

As great as this writer's work is, the reason I want to call attention to her blog is for the most recent post. Like me, she is also leaving the teaching profession - at least for the time being. If you will read some of her work, you can tell that we're talking about an intelligent, talented, and incredibly creative person, here. However, the system (at least in developed countries) has made teaching such a mechanical, red tape ridden chore, that people of this caliber do not seem to be welcome as teachers. WHY would anyone want to set up the system so that people like this are run off?! WHY should it be impossible for someone to find intellectual fulfillment within the walls of a classroom?!

I suppose the no good, crooked politicians and the bureaucrats can continue to ruin our education system if they want, but they just need to be aware that they are running off a lot of good people in the process. But, then again, why do they want the best and brightest teaching when the object of the system seems to be to turn kids into subjects rather than citizens?

9 Comments:

At 5/09/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Yep the move is tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. This will be when my fiance and I are able to actually be like a 'normal' couple. Living in the same state! :D

 
At 5/09/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Thom Trahan said...

Why did you put a picture of Ted Kennedy? He's one of the most enlightened, wonderful politicians this world has ever seen!

 
At 5/09/2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Yeah, about as enlightened and wonderful as the other guy in the picture! LOL

I just wanted to include the two great and enlightened men who cooperated to further ruin our education system.

 
At 5/09/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Nerdanel_Istarnië said...

Oh, gosh! I don't know what to say! :)(But my face has gone the same colour as my hair! That hasn't happened for some time!)

I think you have made a valuable point there, with the system generally wanting to turn kids into subjects. I could get on my high horse about it, but I wont on your blog. I will just go splash my face with cold water ;)

 
At 5/10/2006 2:11 PM, Blogger dean r said...

change is good, I have to keep telling myself that....

 
At 5/10/2006 3:00 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Dean, what the hell are you talking about?

 
At 5/10/2006 7:00 PM, Blogger dean r said...

change, as in change of profession from teaching, what the hell am I talking about? your blog, as in, I'm leaving a comment on what I jsut read in your blog post...

he he :)

 
At 5/10/2006 8:11 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Oh, I thought you meant change as in "No Child Left Behind!" LOL

 
At 5/11/2006 4:13 PM, Blogger dean r said...

day 8? day 7? hey feanor, hi how are you, I'm fine....etc..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home