Wednesday, April 12, 2006

21

This day was eventful, but not by any means tough in comparison to others. My computer equipment was working properly, so I was actually able to present my lesson and engage a decent portion of my students. The current topic includes the Enlightenment, Locke, and Montesquieu. These foundational philosophies are not stressed enough in our schools and I think that our students are worse off for not understanding them. How can people understand our government if they do not understand the philosophies that created it?

Anyway, not to bore the readers with academic details... after lunch, my brother arrived and he finished up our plans for the district track meet while I taught my sixth period class. There was little to do during seventh period since I had covered most of my material the day before, which was good because we had to leave before seventh period was over.

The district meet went very quickly and efficiently... while I wish they would have had food for the coaches, I was glad the meet was over by 7. My boy high jumper placed 2nd, and my girl shot putter placed 3rd. We also had a 4th in the 800 meter run and a 6th in the 200 meter dash. I believe that one of my discus throwers placed, as well, but I am unsure. We finished 5th out of six teams, but I was very proud of my athletes.

I had to wait for rides until 7:45, and then I was home free, with the season over and my 3% coaching stipend fully earned. I went home, took a shower, and took my brother/assistant coach out for fried rice and sushi. My brother has been a great help to me during this season. While I was glad to have the season over with, he would have been ready for ten more meets. He said, "That's the difference between me and you." I said, "No, the difference between me and you is that I teach school all day and you wait tables at night." While coaching is a burden that one takes on joyfully and willingly, it feels good to be able to put down even the most joyful burden, at times.

Now, back to teaching... and chilling out, reading short stories from across the Atlantic, and perhaps getting a little exercise here and there!

5 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger dean r said...

i bet you're an awesome coach, from what you say about being enthused with kids in general. I haven't had any classes this week until after lunch cause my kids are all doing CRT testing. and no school Friday so been sort of boring this week at the middle school. anyway, glad to see the season ended well, also I love the what-time-you-left details, so true the little things students do that drive us crazy. keep it up. 20 days? EASY mister!

 
At 4/12/2006 7:23 PM, Blogger AWG said...

Won't be long, my friend. And you'll be on your way to SC!

 
At 4/12/2006 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it ended on a good note for you. your brother is prime for a career in education.
t

 
At 4/13/2006 1:44 AM, Blogger Nerdanel_Istarnië said...

What do you mean,'don't bore the readers with academic details'? You are talking Philosophy here. I want the lesson plans! lol

Speaking from the other side of the Atlantic (so what would I know?)..you only have 20 days to go. If you have made it this far, I think you will finish the race. I hope you and yours have a good break from school, and a great Easter.

 
At 4/13/2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Dean - Enjoy the easy week!

AWG - you're absolutely right!

T - I hope to spare my brother that heartache.

Nerdanel - I don't think that all of my readers share our passion for philosophy. LOL

Girlninja - Do I know you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home