Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A College Degree: Does it Mean Anything at All?

I found a good article in the Greenville News, linked from SC Hotline. Last Friday, three Republican candidates for lieutenant governor engaged in a friendly debate. One of the issues that came up was whether Mike Campbell, the son of former governor Carroll Campbell, was fit for the job given his lack of a college degree. Campbell downplayed what the paper called a "lack of a few hours," saying, "I've never been one of these people that has associated leadership with a diploma hanging on the wall." Of course, the other two candidates were affable and said nothing of it. Henry Jordan, one of Campbell's opponents, responded, "Some of the smartest people I've known never darkened the door of a college. You can be an effective leader without a degree."

I would tend to agree with both of these statements taken at face value, but is there a little more to it when we're talking about the son of a former governor? In an age where people overcome poverty, get up to their ears in debt, and/or take care of a child while working on and completing a degree, should we just brush off the fact that Campbell - who is from an unquestionably privileged background - did not finish college? I'm not really prone to look the other way, in this case. It requires very little resilience or self-discipline for someone from a privileged background to complete college. I had an easy enough time finishing up with a 3.6 GPA. How much easier would it have been for me to graduate with a minimal 2.0? I don't even want to think about it! I was a doctor's kid, so I had more advantages than most, but not nearly the advantages of the son of one of the most powerful men ever to be involved in South Carolina politics.

In light of this, I wish that at least one of Mike Campbell's opponents would have had the balls to raise some serious questions, because when it comes to a governor's kid, I'm not satisfied with the whole "plenty of good people don't finish college" bit.

5 Comments:

At 6/06/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger AWG said...

I am surprised the candidate was so dismissive of a college education. Not a good sign.

 
At 6/06/2006 1:33 PM, Blogger RC said...

i think the college degree means a lot, i think what the degree is in may or may not have significance.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 
At 6/06/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger dean r said...

i agree, thanks.
"you slit your wrist, and said world, here's my blood, it's red like yours."... i think that's the quote, hope you recognize it....

 
At 6/06/2006 7:53 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

AWG - Yes, these are the same politicians who will praise the value of an education out of the other side of their mouths.

RC - I tend to agree with you. The degree itself shows determination to complete a multi-year commitment.

Dean - The Client is one of my favorite episodes of The Office. Now, you need to see Performance Review, which follows it. With all that work you're doing, you can afford to spend $1.99 for it on iTunes. ;)

 
At 12/23/2008 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well college degree wouldn't be the only basis at all. I don't think that Campbell's son would be assigned on the job if his not fitted on it. There are thousands of successful people who don't even enter college.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home