Thursday, June 01, 2006

Maybe it is over...

My wife and I actually slept at the same place last night for the first time in a few days. She had been staying with her parents, while I stayed at my friend's apartment with his strange black cat while he was on vacation. She decided to join me at my friend's place. The cat decided to let us sleep until 9:30 or so... much better than my first night when she started to get very playful around 5:15!

While yesterday included a small bit of stress concerning my former place of employment, today did not. Before 10:00, I got in touch with an accountant at the school district office who told me it was illegal for my check to be held for any reason and said that she would get my check sent to her office, then to me, or something like that. At first, she told me to call my school concerning my check, then I said, "I don't know if you've ever worked for [Name of Principal]..." at which point the accountant laughed quite loudly and after that she was quite helpful. Evidently, my principal told the folks downtown that I had not turned in my keys, which differs from the story given to me that there was a problem with my grades... blah. It was good to find a helping hand and know that I am now finally free of this nonsense.

This afternoon, my wife and I took a nap, and when I awoke, I began to notice that I felt different. For the past year and a half or so, my self-image has been clouded by a feeling of self-loathing, defeat, or whatever you call it. My experiences this school year have amplified this feeling, but it was there even the previous year when I began to get unhappy with things at work. For so long - especially since November when I decided to apply to grad school - I have been waiting to take the next step with my life. This afternoon, I was hit with the realization that now, I am actually taking the next step with my life.

We left [Name of City] this evening and made the first leg of our journey to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where a friend of mine is getting married on Saturday. After that, we'll be on our way to our new life and meetings with bank reps and the real estate agent.

7 Comments:

At 6/01/2006 7:03 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Have a safe journey and God Bless. Get back to posting entries fast ;)

 
At 6/02/2006 1:28 AM, Blogger Nerdanel_Istarnië said...

It is great to hear you are beginning to feel so much better..great to hear your check problem has been resolved, ( I love it that the accountant laughed when given your ex- Principle's name ;) )..and it is great that you and your wife are moving on to your new life in SC. :)


Enjoy your friend's wedding!

Strange black cat? How strange?

 
At 6/02/2006 6:31 AM, Blogger AWG said...

Feanor,
I had a very similar experience, as you know. It's a great feeling taking that giant step. We're always better for it. Can't wait to come out and see your new digs after y'all settle in. Peace!

 
At 6/02/2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Kay said...

Congratulations, friend!!!

I know what you mean about the self-loathing and defeated feeling that you get from certain jobs, and the relief you feel when you're out of the ugly situation. Went through that when I left my last job...and I know that leaving was one of the best things I ever did for myself! :)

take care

 
At 6/02/2006 7:13 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Fleur - the pace is picking up and will continue to do so!

Nerdanel - very strange, but also very young. She might calm down after a bit.

AWG - Yes, down to the crappy job and someone trying to hold your money... it's amazing how similar our experiences were.

Sweetbabyk - I'm glad someone else knows this feeling. No matter how much we wish otherwise, our self image is always tied to our work at least a little bit. Good riddance!

 
At 6/03/2006 1:37 PM, Blogger 2complx said...

Work yuck. Mine is like Office Space sometimes I just want to beat the crap out of the copier and the coffee machine that dispenses my coffee onto the floor.

 
At 6/05/2006 1:30 PM, Blogger dean r said...

sweet, ain't it nice to know your'e not the only one in the distrcit that is aware of difficulties working with said principal... I'm glad they helped you out and you can MOVE ON my friend. missed you, I think, at CCR Friday night in Lawton. later, DTR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home