Friday, May 12, 2006

Limited Profile

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Facebook website, but it's a nice little site where you can post pictures of yourself, list your interests, favorite movies and books, etc. It's designed to help college buddies stay in touch and to even find folks from high school that you might not have talked to in awhile. A few years ago, I had started a page on MySpace, but it only took a matter of weeks for my mom to snoop around and find it, then I never heard the end of her negative critique of my pictures, what music I listen to, movies I watch, etc. I started a Facebook account because it's only visible to your friends, rather than public.

But... you can never be too careful. A few weeks ago, my brother's fiance invited me to be on her friends list, and I accepted, but then posted a picture of myself (the same one I posted on the blog awhile back) of me flipping the bird at those who would dare to harm innocent folks in my beloved Oklahoma. If mom was going to be spying on me through Facebook, I wanted to know about it. Sure enough, this morning, I got an angry call from mom complaining about the picture, as well as another picture in my friend's album of me hopelessly drunk with my head in the toilet, taken like (notice the lingo, Dean) over three years ago. Curiously, she did not find out from my brother's fiance; rather, she had logged on as my cousin to see a picture of her boyfriend, and I guess found me by accident? Yeah right. She acts like she just stumbled on my profile, but I know better.

My first reaction was to delete anyone who was remotely family as a friend, but then I found out about a curious new feature of Facebook, that being the Limited Profile. You can make a list of people who only see the limited profile and also what portions of your page are available to these people. So, I've invited most of my family members back, but all they can see is my name, schools, and contact information - as well as a now harmless photo of me in my Oklahoma City Memorial shirt and a John Deere cap. Now that I can protect trivial personal information, I don't need to put an offensive picture as my main photo.

So, all's well, and mom will never have to worry about seeing another picture of her boy flipping the bird or throwing up after having a little too much "Captain" in him! It's a shame that it's often your family that seems the least eager to know who you really are.

6 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool---get onto my daughter's facebook and check out her "jewelry"

Love the comic!!

Parents are nosy. We have the urge to keep up with our kids. Yours however, seems a bit more intense.
Tnon

 
At 5/12/2006 9:30 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Put a picture of yourself on your blog flipping the bird... then you'll know if she's reading. LOL

PS - Thanks for being such a dedicated Friday night reader. The blogosphere is not very active on Friday nights and I'm usually at home checking for comments. :)

 
At 5/13/2006 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Feanor,

YOU are on FACEBOOK? Me too!! Find me!

I love that last line, "It's a shame that it's often your family that seems the least eager to know who you really are."

Great post!
(And I would have rather been here checking for comments on Friday night, too. If only I could have gotten out of that committment!)

 
At 5/13/2006 5:07 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Anonymous (the second), I am really at a loss as to knowing who I'm looking for. What commitment are you talking about?

 
At 5/15/2006 8:28 AM, Blogger Kay said...

I'm so sorry, Anonymous # 2 was me! I guess I accidentally hit that button instead of the blogger name buttom or something.

So yes, I, SBK, Kyra, am on Facebook. :)

I tried to find you, but I can't remember your surname and there are SO many people who share your first name--like 500 on facebook.

 
At 5/15/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger dean r said...

last statement, Exclamation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home