Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sign Language

I awoke around 11 on this quiet, rainy Sunday morning, poured myself a glass of water, and took a walk to my living room to admire the azalea bushes blooming in my front yard. Of course, I saw the For Sale sign, which I expected to see in our yard, but I saw the back of another sign that someone had posted. Although it was raining, it bothered me that there was a sign out there and I could not see its contents. (Perhaps, it was an old college buddy letting the world know "[Feanor] is gay.") Anyway, [Feanor] was curious, and took a little walk outside. I was shocked by what I saw:

THANK YOU FOR VISITING [NAME OF CHURCH]

Some lady had given my brother a $75 tip and asked him to visit the church. Being the [insulting terms here] that he is, he went and apparently gave out our address. Apparently, these people don't care if you own the place or if someone else does, or if you own the place whether you want a sign put in your yard without your consent. I'm trying to sell a house, here. I don't want some other sign to attract attention. At least some of these aggressive churches give signs to their members to put in their own yards.

I guess you always have to be on guard when you give your address - or someone else's address - to people. You never know what they have planned.

13 Comments:

At 3/19/2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

I am curious to if you are a Christian and gay or not? From your post its really not obvious and I hope that I haven't offened you.

 
At 3/19/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Yes, I am a Christian, and NO, I AM NOT GAY! LOL That's hilarious!

I am happily married and was just miffed that someone put a sign in my yard without my permission.

Back in college, a friend of mine and I would take any opportunity to write on any surface that the other was gay. It was just a joke and one of my first thoughts on seeing an unfamiliar sign was, "I wonder if Trey made a sign to reignite the contest after all these years..."

 
At 3/19/2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Yeah, he's a waiter. He's "taking a break" from college and living with me for low rent. I thought the same thing about a door hanger or a note in your mailbox or something. I wouldn't have had much of a problem with that.

 
At 3/19/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger Thom Trahan said...

If it's Joxer's old church, then yeah, paying people to come wouldn't surprise me... This is the same church that recently (within the last 5 years or more) purchased a jet and a ferrari (maybe it was a vette, i can't remember) to ferry around famous evangelical types. God bless America.

 
At 3/19/2006 12:37 PM, Blogger AWG said...

Slice O' Life is down indefinitely. I may just delete it and start over.

 
At 3/20/2006 3:43 PM, Blogger Thom Trahan said...

Just an FYI, Fëanor... www.treyzisgay.com IS available. Just letting you know.... In case you didn't. ...know... you know?(I love ellipsessissississsssss)

 
At 3/20/2006 4:29 PM, Blogger dean r said...

oh man, that first comment is hilarious, talk about random blog reading, oops.

hey Feanor bud, if the sign bothers you, real simple, just remove it. :) I'm sure the church just meant to be welcoming to a new visitor... but yeah, I agree a little too agressive.

also, I'm amazed he got tipped at all, in the restauraunt business here in okc, church people are reputed to NEVER tip big... que lastima.

 
At 3/20/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Thom Trahan said...

This won't let me post a picture, but this guy reminds me so much of you Fëanor... You know who i'm talking about.
That link may not have worked. Just an FYI.

 
At 3/20/2006 7:05 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Dean, I did remove it, with a vengeance. LOL They brought us a cake this evening, which I accepted with a bit of welcoming! ;0

Blank... Dwight rules! And I think I'm going to see about that domain!

 
At 3/20/2006 7:53 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

LOL. :) I see I've caused quite a s tir. I was visiting Technorati I think or else just random surfing. :)

 
At 3/23/2006 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

$75 tip?? Just WHAT is he doing at work??

In defense of the church----I do know several years ago a certain church in the area would let the youth go put a sign in the yard of a new youth group member. It was a status thing among them and the kids liked it. I guess YOU are getting OLD if it bothers you!! lol
t

 
At 3/23/2006 7:09 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

I think the key word in your comment was MEMBER, rather than someone who filled out a visitor card. You're not a little creeped out by someone going to your house without your knowledge?

 
At 3/25/2006 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your yard is public domain---10 feet to the street.??!!??!! Beats eggs and paint guns!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home