Tuesday, February 21, 2006

H-U-S-T-L-E-R

"I'd rather die in the pen than be a dirty rat."

-- Soulja Slim

For a long time, I've tried to understand the attraction of the young to the "gangsta" lifestyle. I mean, what does this lifestyle have to offer over that of being an educated professional?

Ha Ha! I guess my readers know what a great time I'm having as an educated professional this year. One good thing about teaching is that my students are always offering to keep me current on music... most of the time, this is unwelcome, but once in awhile, I find something I like. The other day, one of my students from New Orleans brought me a Soulja Slim CD, which I quickly ripped onto my computer. I was listening to it this weekend and was, oddly, quite impressed! This is not your run-of-the-mill commercialized crap... this is straight up real shit from the streets! (or was... Soulja Slim met an untimely death a few years ago... you can't get much more street cred than that!) If anyone wants to check out a few tracks, I would recommend "hustler" and "cheeze eataz." It's odd how one is spelled the standard way, while the other is phonetic, but oh well.

Anyway, back to my initial struggle to understand the gangsta lifestyle. I was walking down the breezeway between classes, when I found myself chanting the chorus to "Hustler." "I'm a mutherfuckin' HUST-LA, a mutherfuckin' HUST-LA, H-U-S-T-L-E-R!" Then, it hit me... for that brief moment, I daydreamed about being a "hustler." I thought for a second about what it would be like to abandon my clock-punching lifestyle for a new life of selling drugs, pimpin', and all sorts of other ill shit.

While I probably won't quit my day job, I probably will continue to daydream once in awhile about a more exciting life. And the thing is, I'm only stuck in this job for a year... these kids are stuck in their situations for Lord knows how long. How can I judge them for their fantasies when we all dream once in awhile?

9 Comments:

At 2/21/2006 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Makes sense!! Sorry I missed the chorus!! Perhaps you could do some music "appreciation" with your new LUNCH CLASS!!!

Absolutely---the reason the "lifestyle" is so appealing is because they have NOTHING. Yes, we could write another chapter to "the" book.
T

 
At 2/21/2006 5:56 PM, Blogger dean r said...

I have too much respect for women to even imagine or consider or support any street lingo, music/rap, or gangsta attitude that glorifies the lifestyle of a "pimp".

 
At 2/21/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Yeah, and I on the other hand have absolutely no respect for bitches and enjoy laying out an occasional backhand on a ho while listening to rap music...

Grow up!

 
At 2/21/2006 8:12 PM, Blogger AWG said...

I'm with Dean on this one, Feanor. I prefer old school rap - Run-DMC, De La Soul and even pop stuff like DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. "Parents Just Don't Understand."

 
At 2/21/2006 8:44 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Okay, people... this post was NOT about rap music. AWG can vouch for the fact that I listen to rap music very little. I was writing about how I - for a moment - stepped into someone else's dream and understood it.

The post was about HOPES, DREAMS, and EMPATHY! Can we find any of these within ourselves?

 
At 2/22/2006 5:02 AM, Blogger Fëanor said...

Is KJ52 a Canadian rapper? (Feanor was curious)

 
At 2/22/2006 7:31 AM, Blogger Fëanor said...

I actually got online and listened to a little bit of his stuff... pretty clever. It reminds me of listening to T-Bone (another Christian rapper) in high school.

I can see this guy saying, "I'm not a Canadian rapper, I'm a Christian rapper!

 
At 2/22/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger dean r said...

I'll never grow up! hey bud I'm just saying where I stand, I know you're all good regardless of music choice... I have likely grown up too suburban white-bread America sheltered and have never had any appreciation at all for that field of "entertainment". also I've personally witnessed (although a brief glimpse) the mutual respect you and your wife have for one another, and I was seriously quite impressed.
-insert street lingo here-, DTR

 
At 2/22/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Fëanor said...

LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home