Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Freakin' IDIOT!

I've spent the last few days getting things together for one part of my job that I still THOROUGHLY ENJOY... taking a group of kids to the state student council convention. It's an overnight trip, which is something that these kids from poorer backgrounds don't get to experience much. This afternoon, I was getting my principal to sign paperwork and she was very supportive of the trip... "This is too good to be true..." I thought, as I told her how much I was looking forward to the trip. For the past two years, my wife has accompanied me to these things in a second vehicle. This year, I'm just bringing four guys, so the second vehicle (and the female chaperone) will be unnecessary.

When I told her how happy I was to be bringing one car, she looked up at me and said, "You can't use your vehicle... District policy says that you can't transport students in personal or rented vehicles... only in school busses." Although someone in the downtown transportation department agreed with her on this, I know that this is not true, as it happens all the time. Basically, you just have to show the district that you have a certain amount of insurance.

However, I am thinking about taking her up on this and taking a school bus (and a fellow teacher as a driver). I think it would be fun... just six guys riding in a school bus for two hours each way... a little expensive, but fun. If anyone asks us, "What the heck are you DOING (in a school bus with four kids)?" I will respond that someone is a "freakin' IDIOT!"

4 Comments:

At 2/08/2006 8:48 PM, Blogger Kay said...

Sounds like FUN!

I don't know what it is, but there is definitely something fun about a handful of people in an otherwise empty school bus.

Went on choir auditions this way. :)

 
At 2/09/2006 4:52 AM, Blogger Fëanor said...

The (very few) people on the bus go up and down!

 
At 2/09/2006 3:14 PM, Blogger dean r said...

DOn't get down man just remain pumped for the trip, sounds like a blast. Did you take a bus previous years? well, anyhow, hope you find a teacher to drive the bus for you who you'll still have fun with at the student council thing.

 
At 2/19/2006 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my husband and I took our daughter and 3 others to the State Speech Tourn at LSU a couple of years ago---all I had to do was show the asst prin at their high school my insurance and i signed some thingy. Basically since I coincidentally was a teacher in said Parish, they didnt bat an eye---the Speech sponsor could not go so we took them. Same daughters also have traveled with sponsors to other speech tournaments as well as soccer matches out of town. On the one hand SHE doesn't want you to get burned. On the other hand, show her the policy you found and go for it.
T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home