Thursday, April 27, 2006

15

This day was short and sweet since I am leaving halfway through to go to the regional high school track meet. Three and a half hours barely felt like 15 minutes! ---->

Today, I passed out a study guide that I made for my students to complete in class. If they manage to complete it, keep up with it tonight, and hand it in tomorrow, they will receive bonus points on tomorrow's test. It's funny how they treat potential bonus points like a real grade, but for the most part, they did their work. My first and second periods were quite silent for the most part. I think I'm starting to master the art of giving busy work once in awhile (like most other teachers do DAILY). It doesn't mean that I like it, but I am adapting to the institution.

Speaking of the institution, report cards are coming out today. One punk kid wanted to contest his grade (F), and he went to the principal with his complaint. Of course, I had a nice paper trail of incomplete work and a quiz and a test full of red ink. He tried real hard, but my principal brought him to class and totally backed me up. She didn't even want to hear it from him. I suppose I can say what I want about my principal, but she backs me up where it counts. I guess that has to count for something.

Well, it's almost 11:30... about time for me to clock out and go to the track meet.

1 Comments:

At 4/27/2006 2:39 PM, Blogger dean r said...

its keeping them busy busy on task on work that's teaching the objective is the key. I'm a talker so I could always fill time, and now and then , they get the exception of actually getting to work or visit in class... he he
(I dont' miss teaching content to large middle school classes at all btw)
There are a couple history teachers in my building(yes also coaches but....) and they have a bell work journal entry every day which is completely meaningless to there content that day, really it's just a classroom control method, but really really its so they can stand in the hall and talk 10 minutes into class before going in and teaching, oh yeah, that....( don't even get me started)
It does feel good when the system backs you up, and even worse when they back up parents whose kids fool 'em every time... he he

 

Post a Comment

<< Home